You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Whatcha Got Cooking? ANSWER: Oh! Oh! Orzo!!!


The Fresh Market has one of the best premade delicatessens around. On a lazy Sunday night, there is nothing I like to do more than relax! While I really enjoy cooking, it is nice to pick up healthy dishes that are easy to serve and convenient. One of my favorite side dishes from the Fresh Market is the Lemon Orzo with Pine Nuts. Looks can be deceiving when you are asked for your portions at the FM counter, because just one small 1/4 pound serving easily feeds two people, with a little leftover. While it is quick to pick up already prepared dishes, it can be pricey. One little quarter pound side is about $3.50. When your eyes are bigger than your stomach, you usually end up with more little sides than you need: i.e. last Sunday we left with a grilled Reuben panini, a pint of cream of broccoli soup, a side of sour cream and cheese macaroni, and the orzo. How is that for some carbs! Where's the green? I made some sugar snap peas too. I wanted to see if I could recreate the orzo we love so much, at a lower price. Well, I searched the Internet for the recipe, even hoping the Fresh Market web site may have it. When I came across Racheal Ray's recipe for Orzo with Feta and Tomatoes* I saw it as a starting point. With a few minor changes, it became the building block of my recipe.

After some nibbling and inspecting of the Fresh Market orzo, I went grocery shopping. Here is my recipe. It made a big ole batch, and at about $4 for the entire dish. Pretty economical. Here's to saving money. It is also true about pastas getting better with time. This side dish will stay in the fridge for a few days. Lovely. The best part - Jr. heard me in the kitchen today and inquired as to what I was doing. I was adding a little more olive oil, salt, and pepper to the orzo. Darn, caught red handed doctoring again! "I like it just the way it is (hence the spoonfuls missing!) I think the Fresh Market's is too mushy and oily," he said. Kudos to me! He likes it, he really likes it!

Blonde Appetit's Lemon Orzo with Pine Nuts

1/2 lb. orzo

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, whole

1 large handful baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped

1/2 lemon, reserve the other half in case you need it

Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

olive oil

Boil orzo in 3 quarts of salted water for 10 minutes until firm. Drain. In a large bowl, combine spinach, pine nuts, and tomatoes. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 of a lemon over pasta. Give it a good stir. Drizzle a good amount of olive oil in a circle over the bowl. Keep in mind not to use too much, as it marinates, the pasta will absorb the oil and you can always add more. Add a small palmful of Kosher salt. Add a few shakes of pepper. Stir. Taste. If you prefer more lemon, add the juice of the second half. Again, remember with salt, etc. You can never take away, but always add more. Let marinate. Then enjoy.

p.s. And Food Network's Next Star or whatever...I am not. But, I could be!

*Rachael Ray's Orzo With Feta and Tomatoes
Ingredients

1/2 pound orzo
Salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup feta cheese crumbles
A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Heat water in large sauce pot to boil and add pasta, cook to al dente.
Melt butter in the pot while still hot and combine with feta. Add cooked pasta to feta butter and toss with parsley and tomatoes, season with a little pepper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG TIP! Pine nuts are expensive.. at COSCO or SAM'S you can get a WHOPPIN' BAg for $15 and it lasts forever! xo