You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Monday, October 6, 2008

Food Men Like


Food Men Like:
Meat and Potatoes...also known as...anything that can be put on the grill.
Pizza
And stuff their mama cooked...or stuff that tastes just like their mama cooked.

I first learned this recipe years ago when I was just finishing up my Senior year of college. It is one that I hold dear, as it came from the kitchen of my college sweet-heart's mama. Whom, I unfortunately, never had the chance to meet. I was honored to cook it for him. I can recall him telling me that his mom chopped the celery and onion finer that I was doing. So, I of course, chopped them a little finer. This recipe is out of this world. The creaminess of the filling, the hint of pepper, the crunch of the veggies, and the flaky, buttery crust.

This is the perfect dish to enjoy on a crisp, Autumn night. And the leftovers are delish.

CHICKEN POT PIE

Ingredients:
1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1 large onion, finely diced
1 large can LeSueur peas
1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
6 eggs
Butter
Salt and pepper
1 pkg. Pillsbury pie crusts

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350.

Boil chicken breasts in a large pot of water until they return to a boil, and are cooked throughout. Cutting the chicken into smaller pieces before boiling reduces cooking time. Saute onions and celery in a skillet with butter until lightly browned and soft. Hard-boil the 6 eggs and set aside to cool. Add onions, celery, peas, and cream of chicken and mushroom soup in a large bowl and gently mix well. Cut the chicken into finely diced pieces and add to mixture. Salt and pepper as needed. Peel the eggs and slice into pieces.

Take one Pillsbury pie crust and moisten both sides with melted butter. Put it into a deep pie pan. Add alternating layers of chicken mixture, then eggs, continue until all mixture is gone. Moisten the other pie crust with butter and place on top. Pinch the sides, trim extra crust, and cut slits in the top. Bake about 45 minutes and until the crust is golden brown.

This is yummy with Sister Schubert's dinner rolls.

No comments: