You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Monday, October 6, 2008

mmm...mmm...good.

According to my boyfriend, we will call him Jr. As in Dale, not the redneck-y version, ie naming your son after his father and then calling him Junior. Well, maybe Dale Jr. is a bit of a redneck. It is a NASCAR reference, and I saw on Cribs that he does have a stripper pole in his house. And, yes. I do realize that Dale Jr. is called Jr. because his father was named Dale. But for my purpose. He sort-of looks like Dale Jr., and he would be embarrassed if I talked about him on here. But if you are reading this, most likely you have a personal relationship with me and know who he is. Oh well. (On a second note...I know I have not even gotten started..but I quite dislike the word boyfriend. We have been together past the word friend, which his parent's used to awkwardly refer to me as, "this is his friend." And I feel too old to say boyfriend. He has his own house, and I have mine. So we don't technically live together. And we obviously aren't married. So, I am stuck giving him the title of boyfriend. Maybe we should start passing notes.)

So, Jr. thinks that I have a habit of making noises when I am enjoying a tasty snack. Mmmmmm. He picks on me about it, and I can't figure out if he thinks it is cute or annoying. Maybe a little of both. I can't help it. I do it without thought. Like after biting into a delicious homemade dish like brown rice. Which is by far, the simplest side dish. It is inexpensive, guys love it, and bottom line, it is yummy. When I suggested it for dinner the other night when we were cooking out. Jr. claimed that his old roommate swore that he invented Brown Rice. Well, I surely didn't, and neither did he.

Baked Brown Rice

Ingredients:
1 can (10 1/2oz) beef consommé
1 can (10 1/2oz) condensed French onion soup
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients; stir well. Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until done. Serves 6 to 8. If you want to be a little fancy, you can add canned or fresh, sliced mushrooms to the mix before baking. Mmmmmm.

You know, come to think about it. It doesn't even have to be anything homemade to make me gleefully grunt. The other night while watching a movie. Hot Tamales. Mmmmm. As I stabbed at the plump, round peas on my plate tonight at dinner and pop a few into my mouth. Mmmmmmm. A cold spoonful of Snickerdoodle ice cream. MMMMMMMM!!!!!!! You get the point.

So, I decided to include a new section into this here blog. Entitled, "mmm...mmm...good." A collection of all the recipes posted in this blog. I love to eat. But I also love to cook. And from what I hear. I am not half bad. So, try 'em out.

Click on the following link. And yes, he also calls me Bob Wiley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjJE60RI-g

1 comment:

Anne Wolfe Postic said...

Hi! Caroline Glenn told me about your blog. Thanks for linking to the Daily Digress - I really appreciate it!

I actually hum a little song when I'm eating something good. I'm pretty sure it's annoying, because it annoys me when everyone else in my family does it. Ha!

Anne