You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dear Dr. Oz, Please whip me back into shape!

Okay, I have to admit. I have been a little slack recently. After indulging in turkey and dressing, along with side of mac and cheese, green beans, and lima beans and an equally hearty lunch of ham, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with the yummy topping, dressing and dessert I feel like a beached whale. Did I mention we took home blackberry cobbler a la mode for dessert too? I know what you are thinking...the holidays are right around the corner.

That is why I feel the urge to correct my poor eating habits NOW! Earlier this year, I ran a bunch and ate super well. To the point that when I didn't, I would pay for it. It kinda makes that burger less appealing. I was inspired by a segment on Oprah featuring Dr. Oz. His healthy, high fiber diet really does fill you up and makes you feel lighter. I will include the link to his page, but here are the foods he suggests. So, clean out your pantry. This is a great time to give those not so good for you foods to charity. Get skinny and give, who doesn't love that karma! All kidding aside, if it's there, you will eat it. So make a NEW and IMPROVED grocery list and go shopping.



HERE IS A LIST OF DR. OZ'S HEALTHY LIVING FOODS:

HIGH FIBER
artichoke
lima beans
soy beans
grapefruit
blackberry
raspberry

(wait...blackberries and lima beans, maybe I didn't do too poorly at the Thicket!)

HIGH FIBER GRAINS
steel cut oatmeal
buckwheat
whole grain breads and cereals

MAGNESIUM - fights cancer
beets
raisins
dates
soybeans

FOLATE - fights cancer
folate
orange juice
spinach and other leafy greens

VITAMIN D - fights cancer
orange juice
vitamin d
nonfat whole milk

2 baby aspirin a day - major cancer preventor

LYCOPENE - fights cancer
tomatoes
tomato paste

COFFEE - fights cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases

OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
red wine
onions
garlic
salmon
eggs
walnuts

http://www.oprah.com/contributor/health/droz

Another good food list that helps with your grocery shopping is from The Power 12, from the Abs Diet.
1. Almonds, and other nuts
2. Beans and other legumes
3. Spinach and other green veggies
4. Dairy, fat-free/low fat
5. Instant Oatmeal
6. Turkey/lean meats - steak, chicken, fish
7. Peanut Butter, all natural
8. Olive oil
9. Eggs
10. Whole grain breads and cereal
11. Extra protein (whey) powder
12. Raspberries and other berries

BOTTOM LINE:

EAT A HIGH FIBER DIET: 25mg for women and 35mg for men: THAT'S LOTS OF FRUITS AND VEGGIES!

LADIES - WE NEED OUR CALCIUM!

EAT NUTS, FRESH FOODS, LOW FAT DAIRY. AVOID PROCESSED FOODS!!! If you can't pronounce it. Don't eat it.

IS YOUR GLASS HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY - DRINK H2O.

TAKE A CHILL PILL - OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS ARE GOOD FOR YOU AND HAVE A CALMING EFFECT

Finally: Look for items in your grocery store that have Bob Greene's Best Life Seal of Approval for healthy pasta, soup, frozen food, etc choices. For a complete list: http://www.thebestlife.com/partners.asp

ALSO...See the new link to the right for an itemized breakdown of MY grocery list, including some of my favorite brands

or click here: http://www.blondeappetit.com/2008/09/my-grocery-list.html

HAPPY SHOPPING!!!!

1 comment:

CarolinaBlonde said...

via facebook:
C. Causey wrote at 8:55am
Thanks for the comment, you looked great too! I meant what I said, your blog is awesome and you are so talented!! :)